santa barbara city college
Applied Music is a .5 unit class where qualified Music Majors can receive private lessons for up to 4 semesters. Most transfer programs require or look favorably upon applied music credits.
Requirements for eligibility:
- Successfully pass an audition. Acceptance is dependent upon applicant performance level and available spots.
- All applicants should be declared as Music Majors, and enrolled in or have passed Musicianship and Theory classes (Mus 102/104 or 202/204).
- All applicants must be currently enrolled in one Performance class.
- Attend weekly lesson with instructor.
- Perform in 2 out of the 3 Applied Recitals in the semester.
- Attend all 3 Applied Recitals in the semester.
- Perform at an end of year Jury.
- Sign up for an audition (see google form below)
- Perform a representative piece (or excerpt) for audition, approximately about 1-3 minutes in length. The audition piece should be in the same style and on the same instrument as what you are hoping to study in Applied Music.
- Auditions for Applied Music are the first Friday of the semester. For Fall 2022, auditions are Friday September 2nd, between 12:30 and 2:00 pm.
- You will be given a more specific audition time about a day before the auditions.
If you are interested in signing up for an audition for Applied Music (Music 185 in the class listing), please fill out the form below. The form is open now, and will close at midnight Wednesday August 31st: